FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forum index » Electronix » design
To fuse equipment or not to?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 477 of 479 [7178 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page:  Previous  1, 2, 3, ..., 475, 476, 477, 478, 479 Next
Author Message
Paul Hovnanian P.E.
electronics forum Guru


Joined: 29 Apr 2005
Posts: 583

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Do The Math: Drive Slower & Save Gas Reply with quote

Jim Thompson wrote:
Quote:

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 02:16:33 +0100, Eeyore
rabbitsfriendsandrelations@REMOVETHIS.hotmail.com> wrote:



"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

bill.sloman@ieee.org wrote:

If I were you, I'd claim to drink - alcohol induced stupidity is more
or less transient (if you don't drink too much, too often).

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Is that your excuse? As far as your "Horde" being effective, they
don't worry about things like the Geneva convention or who they kill, so
they have no place in modern combat.

The Israeli forces currently attacking the Lebanon seem quite happy to bomb and
kill innocent civilians !

Maybe they should be considered as a 'horde' too ?

Graham

As long as they allow Hezbollah to hide under their skirts...

Israel told Lebanon to get Hezbollah under control. Then, they shelled
the Lebanese army bases.

They did the same thing to the Palestinian Authority years ago. They
kept telling the PA to stop Hamas terrorists, but they kept shelling the
PA police headquarters.

Face it, Israel is only interested in keeping the region destabilized
(to keep US military aid flowing in).

--
Paul Hovnanian mailto:Paul@Hovnanian.com
------------------------------------------------------------------
When I was in high school, I remember boys and girls slept
together all the time. We called it algebra class. -- Jay Leno
Back to top
Paul Hovnanian P.E.
electronics forum Guru


Joined: 29 Apr 2005
Posts: 583

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Do The Math: Drive Slower & Save Gas Reply with quote

Eeyore wrote:
Quote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

bill.sloman@ieee.org wrote:

If I were you, I'd claim to drink - alcohol induced stupidity is more
or less transient (if you don't drink too much, too often).

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Is that your excuse? As far as your "Horde" being effective, they
don't worry about things like the Geneva convention or who they kill, so
they have no place in modern combat.

The Israeli forces currently attacking the Lebanon seem quite happy to bomb and
kill innocent civilians !

Maybe they should be considered as a 'horde' too ?

Graham

If you don't like what is going on over there, go stop it.

There's not much an individual can do expect express their views on the issue.

Graham

Vote for the other side next time.

--
Paul Hovnanian mailto:Paul@Hovnanian.com
------------------------------------------------------------------
We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.
-- Walt Kelly, "Pogo"
Back to top
Eeyore
electronics forum Guru


Joined: 22 Jun 2006
Posts: 642

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Do The Math: Drive Slower & Save Gas Reply with quote

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote:

Quote:
Eeyore wrote:

There's not much an individual can do expect express their views on the issue.

Graham

Vote for the other side next time.

There's more than 2 sides in UK politics but the only party that's clearly against
involvement in silly wars is the Liberal Democrats and I normally vote for them anyway.

Graham
Back to top
pomerado@hotmail.com
electronics forum beginner


Joined: 19 Jun 2006
Posts: 41

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Do The Math: Drive Slower & Save Gas Reply with quote

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Quote:
Richard Henry wrote:

martin griffith wrote:
On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 08:32:40 GMT, in sci.electronics.design Sven
Wilhelmsson <sven@nospam.please> wrote:

James T. White wrote:

CoreyWhite@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1153196620.495365.220630@35g2000cwc.googlegroups.com
Work = Force X Distance. So obviously it takes more force to drive
faster in a car, and the same distance is traveled regardless of how
fast you are going. So if we reduce the speed limits we will save
money and gas!!!!

So do you really believe that as speed approaches zero that your mileage
will approach infinity?

Yes, it does if you adapt the engine accordingly.
Most cars have too big engines to work efficiently even at 90 km/h.
8-cylinder engines are bad! One cylinder is optimal.

Somewhat OT, I was looking into who makes small stirling engines, say
about 1KW, yesterday, and none of the websites I found had any
information about buying them, all just saying how wonderful they are.
No price lists or anything.

Stirling people are a strange bunch.

Along the same line, there is a really long advertisement every night
on cable TV featuring, mostly, two young ladies with deep cleavage
telling me if I send in $35, I will soon start receiving $1000 checks
and $500 checks (the word "checks" is used a lot, leading me to believe
that even if I were to receive one, it would be worthless), apparently
for convincing people to do something (send in $35, maybe?). It's not
clear to me from the ad what I am supposed to do or sell or demo or
whatever, but I usually watch the ad until the ladies are replaced by
The Intense Young Man (I don't know his name, but a few years ago he
was intensely telling everyone they could make money with real estate
if they sent him some money) comes on. Then I switch to Kevin Trudeau
or the colon clenaser people.


You watch WAY too much TV.

Did you know that even the History Channel stops in the middle of the
night?
Back to top
gfretwell@aol.com
electronics forum addict


Joined: 10 Nov 2005
Posts: 90

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Do The Math: Drive Slower & Save Gas Reply with quote

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 20:07:16 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
<paul@hovnanian.com> wrote:

Quote:
Vote for the other side next time.
That won't help much in the US. The Remocrat/Depublican oligarchy

won't let the "other side" join the debate.

As long as we keep letting the candidates collect and spend a billion
dollars worth of bribes an election cycle there will never be an
"other side".
Back to top
Michael A. Terrell
electronics forum Guru


Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Posts: 2291

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Do The Math: Drive Slower & Save Gas Reply with quote

Richard Henry wrote:
Quote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:

martin griffith wrote:
On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 08:32:40 GMT, in sci.electronics.design Sven
Wilhelmsson <sven@nospam.please> wrote:

James T. White wrote:

CoreyWhite@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1153196620.495365.220630@35g2000cwc.googlegroups.com
Work = Force X Distance. So obviously it takes more force to drive
faster in a car, and the same distance is traveled regardless of how
fast you are going. So if we reduce the speed limits we will save
money and gas!!!!

So do you really believe that as speed approaches zero that your mileage
will approach infinity?

Yes, it does if you adapt the engine accordingly.
Most cars have too big engines to work efficiently even at 90 km/h.
8-cylinder engines are bad! One cylinder is optimal.

Somewhat OT, I was looking into who makes small stirling engines, say
about 1KW, yesterday, and none of the websites I found had any
information about buying them, all just saying how wonderful they are.
No price lists or anything.

Stirling people are a strange bunch.

Along the same line, there is a really long advertisement every night
on cable TV featuring, mostly, two young ladies with deep cleavage
telling me if I send in $35, I will soon start receiving $1000 checks
and $500 checks (the word "checks" is used a lot, leading me to believe
that even if I were to receive one, it would be worthless), apparently
for convincing people to do something (send in $35, maybe?). It's not
clear to me from the ad what I am supposed to do or sell or demo or
whatever, but I usually watch the ad until the ladies are replaced by
The Intense Young Man (I don't know his name, but a few years ago he
was intensely telling everyone they could make money with real estate
if they sent him some money) comes on. Then I switch to Kevin Trudeau
or the colon clenaser people.


You watch WAY too much TV.

Did you know that even the History Channel stops in the middle of the
night?


Sure, they have to run the mandated infomrecials, like all other TV
channels.


--
Service to my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to
prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Back to top
Bill Sloman
electronics forum Guru


Joined: 12 May 2005
Posts: 1080

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Do The Math: Drive Slower & Save Gas Reply with quote

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Quote:
bill.sloman@ieee.org wrote:

If I were you, I'd claim to drink - alcohol induced stupidity is more
or less transient (if you don't drink too much, too often).

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen



Is that your excuse?

I don't drink much - about half a bottle of wine in an evening is my
limit, and I raely drink that much. On the other hand, I rarely produce
really stupid posts that lay themsevles open to a simple riposte, as
you have done here.

Quote:
As far as your "Horde" being effective, they
don't worry about things like the Geneva convention or who they kill, so
they have no place in modern combat.

Any more than Secretary of Defence Rumsfeld (proud proprietor of the
Guatamo Bay holiday camp for Koran study groups) and the various U.S.
service men in Irak who have raped and killed members of the more or
less blameless Iraki civilian population and lined up the bodies with
those of similarly dressed terrorist elements?

Your problem in Irak, identified by the U.S. General Staff before
Dubbya ordered the invasion - against their advice - is that you
haven't got enough troops on the ground to be able to control civil
insurrection - you need a horde or two, and you haven't got them.

If Dubbya hadn't pissed off the U.N. by lying to them about weapons of
mass destruction, he could probably have got a load of peace=keeping
troops from a lot of other countries to boost the numbers on the
ground, but the idiot chose Bolton (of all people) to lead the charm
offensive.

The odd thing is that Dubbya and his crew haven't been laughed out of
office - the cartoonists of the American media must be feeling terribly
frustrated by their "loyal" editors.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Back to top
Jim Thompson
electronics forum Guru


Joined: 06 May 2005
Posts: 5440

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Do The Math: Drive Slower & Save Gas Reply with quote

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 04:09:54 +0100, Eeyore
<rabbitsfriendsandrelations@REMOVETHIS.hotmail.com> wrote:

Quote:


"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

There's not much an individual can do expect express their views on the issue.

Graham

Vote for the other side next time.

There's more than 2 sides in UK politics but the only party that's clearly against
involvement in silly wars is the Liberal Democrats and I normally vote for them anyway.

Graham

Aha! Just like our Democrats... the party of cowards ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice:(480)460-2350 | |
| E-mail Address at Website Fax:(480)460-2142 | Brass Rat |
| http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 |

I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Back to top
Michael A. Terrell
electronics forum Guru


Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Posts: 2291

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Do The Math: Drive Slower & Save Gas Reply with quote

bill.sloman@ieee.org wrote:
Quote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
bill.sloman@ieee.org wrote:

If I were you, I'd claim to drink - alcohol induced stupidity is more
or less transient (if you don't drink too much, too often).

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen



Is that your excuse?

I don't drink much - about half a bottle of wine in an evening is my
limit, and I raely drink that much. On the other hand, I rarely produce
really stupid posts that lay themsevles open to a simple riposte, as
you have done here.

As far as your "Horde" being effective, they
don't worry about things like the Geneva convention or who they kill, so
they have no place in modern combat.

Any more than Secretary of Defence Rumsfeld (proud proprietor of the
Guatamo Bay holiday camp for Koran study groups) and the various U.S.
service men in Irak who have raped and killed members of the more or
less blameless Iraki civilian population and lined up the bodies with
those of similarly dressed terrorist elements?

Your problem in Irak, identified by the U.S. General Staff before
Dubbya ordered the invasion - against their advice - is that you
haven't got enough troops on the ground to be able to control civil
insurrection - you need a horde or two, and you haven't got them.

If Dubbya hadn't pissed off the U.N. by lying to them about weapons of
mass destruction, he could probably have got a load of peace=keeping
troops from a lot of other countries to boost the numbers on the
ground, but the idiot chose Bolton (of all people) to lead the charm
offensive.

The odd thing is that Dubbya and his crew haven't been laughed out of
office - the cartoonists of the American media must be feeling terribly
frustrated by their "loyal" editors.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen


You have a VERY rich fantasy life, Bill.


--
Service to my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to
prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Back to top
Eeyore
electronics forum Guru


Joined: 22 Jun 2006
Posts: 642

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Do The Math: Drive Slower & Save Gas Reply with quote

Jim Thompson wrote:

Quote:
On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 04:09:54 +0100, Eeyore
rabbitsfriendsandrelations@REMOVETHIS.hotmail.com> wrote:



"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

There's not much an individual can do expect express their views on the issue.

Graham

Vote for the other side next time.

There's more than 2 sides in UK politics but the only party that's clearly against
involvement in silly wars is the Liberal Democrats and I normally vote for them anyway.

Graham

Aha! Just like our Democrats... the party of cowards ;-)

...Jim Thompson

You're calling their previous leader ( once in the UK special forces for heaven's sake ) a
coward ?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/1659585.stm

Get a grip Jim and don't judge other ppl's politics by your own useless American examples.

Graham
Back to top
Bill Sloman
electronics forum Guru


Joined: 12 May 2005
Posts: 1080

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Do The Math: Drive Slower & Save Gas Reply with quote

Phat Bytestard wrote:
Quote:
On 19 Jul 2006 12:47:55 -0700, bill.sloman@ieee.org Gave us:

If I were you, I'd claim to drink - alcohol induced stupidity is more
or less transient (if you don't drink too much, too often).

Is your IQ above 30?

High enough that regular IQ tests don't give useful results.

Quote:
I think that YOU are the one that is FAT.

Body mass index 24.87 as of this morning, 25 is fat, so you're opinion
is false, by a narrow margin. I would refer to be lighter.

Quote:
I think that YOU are the one that has been drinking too.

One glass of white wine - admittedly a Premier Cru Chablis - last
night.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Back to top
Bill Sloman
electronics forum Guru


Joined: 12 May 2005
Posts: 1080

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Do The Math: Drive Slower & Save Gas Reply with quote

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Quote:
bill.sloman@ieee.org wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
bill.sloman@ieee.org wrote:

If I were you, I'd claim to drink - alcohol induced stupidity is more
or less transient (if you don't drink too much, too often).

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

<snip>

Quote:
The odd thing is that Dubbya and his crew haven't been laughed out of
office - the cartoonists of the American media must be feeling terribly
frustrated by their "loyal" editors.

You have a VERY rich fantasy life, Bill.

If only it were fantasy. If some conspiracy theory whacko novelist had
produced a tale of the U.S. government being taken over by a bunch of
red-neck oil-barons who start an unnecessary war because they are too
dumb and parochial to undestand what their intelligence people are
telling them, he'd have been dismissed as ridiculous only a few years
ago.

High time you got your electoral spending laws reformed.

--
Bill sloman, Nijmegen
Back to top
John Larkin
electronics forum Guru


Joined: 29 Apr 2005
Posts: 4320

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Do The Math: Drive Slower & Save Gas Reply with quote

On 20 Jul 2006 01:59:05 -0700, bill.sloman@ieee.org wrote:


Quote:
The odd thing is that Dubbya and his crew haven't been laughed out of
office - the cartoonists of the American media must be feeling terribly
frustrated by their "loyal" editors.

A head of state can be laughed out of office in a Parliamentary
system. In the USA, the only mechanisms are resignation, impeachment,
or death.

I wonder what life would be like if the government were run by
cartoonists.

John
Back to top
Michael A. Terrell
electronics forum Guru


Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Posts: 2291

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Do The Math: Drive Slower & Save Gas Reply with quote

Eyesore wrote:
Quote:

You're calling their previous leader ( once in the UK special forces for heaven's sake ) a
coward ?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/1659585.stm

Get a grip Jim and don't judge other ppl's politics by your own useless American examples.

Graham


You mean, don't be like you and judge everyone else by your UK
examples?

--
Service to my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to
prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Back to top
Michael A. Terrell
electronics forum Guru


Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Posts: 2291

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Do The Math: Drive Slower & Save Gas Reply with quote

bill.sloman@ieee.org wrote:
Quote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
bill.sloman@ieee.org wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
bill.sloman@ieee.org wrote:

If I were you, I'd claim to drink - alcohol induced stupidity is more
or less transient (if you don't drink too much, too often).

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

snip

The odd thing is that Dubbya and his crew haven't been laughed out of
office - the cartoonists of the American media must be feeling terribly
frustrated by their "loyal" editors.

You have a VERY rich fantasy life, Bill.

If only it were fantasy. If some conspiracy theory whacko novelist had
produced a tale of the U.S. government being taken over by a bunch of
red-neck oil-barons who start an unnecessary war because they are too
dumb and parochial to undestand what their intelligence people are
telling them, he'd have been dismissed as ridiculous only a few years
ago.

High time you got your electoral spending laws reformed.

--
Bill sloman, Nijmegen


Well, since you can't find a job why don't you do it in your spare
time?


--
Service to my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to
prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Back to top
Google

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 477 of 479 [7178 Posts] Goto page:  Previous  1, 2, 3, ..., 475, 476, 477, 478, 479 Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
The time now is Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:39 am | All times are GMT
Forum index » Electronix » design
Jump to:  

Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
No new posts HP test equipment documentation hykerob Equipment 1 Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:03 am
No new posts Air-driven equipment cooling fan? Stefan Simion design 4 Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:58 am
No new posts Fuse for 24V Transformer Serious Machining Basics 5 Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:26 pm
No new posts Is there any equipment to measure dv/dt of capacitor? gomansiu@mintformer.com design 32 Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:09 am
No new posts Is there any equipment to measure ESR of precision film c... gomansiu@mintformer.com Equipment 3 Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:01 am

Copyright © 2004-2005 DeniX Solutions SRL
Other DeniX Solutions sites: Unix/Linux blog |  Unix/Linux documentation |  Unix/Linux forums |  Medicine forum |  Science forum  |  Send and track newsletters


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group