FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forum index » Electronix » design
"Matlab to Scilab for Dummies" anywhere?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 3 of 3 [37 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page:  Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
Jim Thompson
electronics forum Guru


Joined: 06 May 2005
Posts: 5440

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: "Matlab to Scilab for Dummies" anywhere? Reply with quote

On 10 Jul 2006 11:37:41 -0700, mrdarrett@gmail.com wrote:

Quote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 18:26:27 GMT, Joerg
notthisjoergsch@removethispacbell.net> wrote:

Hello Michael,


I like Wasp and Hornet Killer. The guys who developed that stuff
should win a Nobel prize, IMHO.


All this chemical stuff seems to create resistant mutations of the bugs.
Once I held this spray in the black cans onto a nest, one hornet buzzed
out, remained right in the stream for several seconds and then came
after me. I hid inside and that thing did not die. Amazing.

I am not sure we are doing us any good in the long term. Also, this
stuff generally is nerve gas and who knows what it'll do to us humans.

The one I use is simply freeze spray... works great on annoying flies
in the house as well.

...Jim Thompson


Where do you get the freeze spray? Or do you have to spray a random
pressurized bottle upside-down?

I'd like to see a fly develop a mutation against freezing...

Michael

I don't have any right now, so I can't read off the label, but it's a
standard item at Ace Hardware... insect freeze spray.

My "bug man" (Arizona Exterminating) uses something similar, but he's
more gutsey than I, He just walks right up to the nest, spraying as he
walks ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice:(480)460-2350 | |
| E-mail Address at Website Fax:(480)460-2142 | Brass Rat |
| http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 |

I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Back to top
JeffM
electronics forum Guru


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 1007

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: "Matlab to Scilab for Dummies" anywhere? Reply with quote

Quote:
standard item at Ace Hardware... insect freeze spray.
My "bug man" (Arizona Exterminating) uses something similar,
but he's more gutsey than I,
He just walks right up to the nest, spraying as he walks Wink
Jim Thompson

I assume he's got a canister straped to his back.
How big are the DIY things?
As Terrell says, it could be a real bear
if you got in the middle of the operation and ran out of juice.
Back to top
joseph2k
electronics forum Guru Wannabe


Joined: 30 Jun 2006
Posts: 108

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: "Matlab to Scilab for Dummies" anywhere? Reply with quote

mrdarrett@gmail.com wrote:

Quote:

Martin Blume wrote:
mrdarrett@gmail.com> schrieb

Octave (www.octave.org) might be closer to MATLAB
than Scilab.


Wow, open source? That's really neat.
I'll have to try it when I get home...

Anyone know of an open-source clone of Mathematica?
Or is that too much to hope for... Wink ?

Don't know, but maybe Maxima
(http://maxima.sourceforge.net/index.shtml)
might fill the bill?

Regards
Martin


Ooh, I'll have to try that, thanks!

In school, we had Mathematica workstations in several of the
engineering computer labs. One of the more memorable tasks I had a
workstation do was to solve a system of nonlinear equations - about 100
of them (for sizing a distillation column).

Thanks,

Michael


An Actual sign of progress in the software world, In my father's day all
there was was Fortran and linpack in batch (overnight). Not quite the
same.

--
JosephKK
Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.  
--Schiller
Back to top
joseph2k
electronics forum Guru Wannabe


Joined: 30 Jun 2006
Posts: 108

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: "Matlab to Scilab for Dummies" anywhere? Reply with quote

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Quote:
Jim Thompson wrote:

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 18:26:27 GMT, Joerg
notthisjoergsch@removethispacbell.net> wrote:

Hello Michael,


I like Wasp and Hornet Killer. The guys who developed that stuff
should win a Nobel prize, IMHO.


All this chemical stuff seems to create resistant mutations of the bugs.
Once I held this spray in the black cans onto a nest, one hornet buzzed
out, remained right in the stream for several seconds and then came
after me. I hid inside and that thing did not die. Amazing.

I am not sure we are doing us any good in the long term. Also, this
stuff generally is nerve gas and who knows what it'll do to us humans.

The one I use is simply freeze spray... works great on annoying flies
in the house as well.

Jim Thompson


Some of the production techs at Microdyne were doing that. It
surprised the hell out of them when they thawed out and took off.



This thread reminded of the day (LA area) i put my book bag down, in my
employers lab, and unzipped it and a cockroach came out; i grabbed a can of
flux remover (the nastiest {most toxic} stuff handy) and sprayed it down
good. Most of the lab crew was quite surprised, they had not (at least
recently) seen any spray that could drop a 'roach on the run. It stayed
dead, cause i crushed it.

--
JosephKK
Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.  
--Schiller
Back to top
Joerg
electronics forum Guru


Joined: 05 May 2005
Posts: 3533

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: "Matlab to Scilab for Dummies" anywhere? Reply with quote

Hello Joseph,

Quote:

Anyone know of an open-source clone of Mathematica?
Or is that too much to hope for... Wink ?

Don't know, but maybe Maxima
(http://maxima.sourceforge.net/index.shtml)
might fill the bill?

Ooh, I'll have to try that, thanks!

In school, we had Mathematica workstations in several of the
engineering computer labs. One of the more memorable tasks I had a
workstation do was to solve a system of nonlinear equations - about 100
of them (for sizing a distillation column).

An Actual sign of progress in the software world, In my father's day all
there was was Fortran and linpack in batch (overnight). Not quite the
same.


Progress? Back at the university we had to program in Fortran on punch
cards. That was a heck of a lot easier than these "modern" math
programs. Much less learning curve.

After finally dumping Scilab yesterday I tried Octave and dumped it as
well. Wouldn't read Matlab files properly. All you had was an archaic
command line screen that wouldn't even behave like DOS and spit out all
kinds of cryptic error messages. These programs might be very powerful
and practical for a student who has all day long but not for busy engineers.

Maybe I write my own program to calculate wave digital filters some day.
One that actually works.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Back to top
john
electronics forum beginner


Joined: 26 Jun 2006
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: "Matlab to Scilab for Dummies" anywhere? Reply with quote

Joerg wrote:
Quote:
Hello Joseph,


Anyone know of an open-source clone of Mathematica?
Or is that too much to hope for... Wink ?

Don't know, but maybe Maxima
(http://maxima.sourceforge.net/index.shtml)
might fill the bill?

Ooh, I'll have to try that, thanks!

In school, we had Mathematica workstations in several of the
engineering computer labs. One of the more memorable tasks I had a
workstation do was to solve a system of nonlinear equations - about 100
of them (for sizing a distillation column).

An Actual sign of progress in the software world, In my father's day all
there was was Fortran and linpack in batch (overnight). Not quite the
same.


Progress? Back at the university we had to program in Fortran on punch
cards. That was a heck of a lot easier than these "modern" math
programs. Much less learning curve.

snip

I think the big difference (what I think is the bad guy, (or what i
will harp on)) is/are symbol manipulators. I hate them, because they
never work... i.e. I spent one to many times learning the syntax and
typing in (either Mathmatica or Maple,) a hard integral, symbolic
linear algebra problem or anything. EVERY SINGLE TIME I could have
done it better than the above mentioned symbol manipulators... I
always got an answer that was way way more complicated (took 3-10 pages
to display) than I eventualy came up with myself (either by just using
an integral table or just doing it by hand.) or i got something with a
command prompt, saying ...>answer. it just couldn't do ANYTHING i
wanted. I haven't used them in a while, (a few years) have they gotten
any better?

My big argument against symbol manipulators is that if you want an
answer that doesn't rely on a closed form solution... why not just do
it numericaly in the first place? (with more control over errors due to
step size, method used for a DE etc.)

The only reason I like matlab, (other than I'm used to it) is its
ability to save you several (many) lines of code, vs. something like C
or FORTRAN, when your computing a numerical integral, or the solution
or a linear or nonlinear(?) DE, or etc. it's also quite good for DSP,
yet I agree it is way overpriced/expensive.

john
Back to top
joseph2k
electronics forum Guru Wannabe


Joined: 30 Jun 2006
Posts: 108

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: "Matlab to Scilab for Dummies" anywhere? Reply with quote

Joerg wrote:

Quote:
Hello Joseph,


Anyone know of an open-source clone of Mathematica?
Or is that too much to hope for... Wink ?

Don't know, but maybe Maxima
(http://maxima.sourceforge.net/index.shtml)
might fill the bill?

Ooh, I'll have to try that, thanks!

In school, we had Mathematica workstations in several of the
engineering computer labs. One of the more memorable tasks I had a
workstation do was to solve a system of nonlinear equations - about 100
of them (for sizing a distillation column).

An Actual sign of progress in the software world, In my father's day all
there was was Fortran and linpack in batch (overnight). Not quite the
same.


Progress? Back at the university we had to program in Fortran on punch
cards. That was a heck of a lot easier than these "modern" math
programs. Much less learning curve.

After finally dumping Scilab yesterday I tried Octave and dumped it as
well. Wouldn't read Matlab files properly. All you had was an archaic
command line screen that wouldn't even behave like DOS and spit out all
kinds of cryptic error messages. These programs might be very powerful
and practical for a student who has all day long but not for busy
engineers.

Maybe I write my own program to calculate wave digital filters some day.
One that actually works.

I too have found all of them clumsy in one respect or another, but do not

ask me to do the equivalent of SPICE with only linpack, the laughter will
blow you out of the building / park.
--
JosephKK
Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.  
--Schiller
Back to top
Google

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 3 of 3 [37 Posts] Goto page:  Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
The time now is Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:19 pm | All times are GMT
Forum index » Electronix » design
Jump to:  

Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
No new posts Re: LED's for dummies Jeff Stout Basics 0 Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:31 am
No new posts Electrolysis for dummies Michael Basics 24 Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:38 pm
No new posts ADS MatLab cosimulation help!!!! Phil Newman design 0 Wed May 17, 2006 2:05 pm
No new posts Matlab Rayleigh Fading Channel Simulation? Davy Basics 4 Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:23 am
No new posts matlab code for decimated low pass fir filter used in dig... anshu design 2 Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:50 am

Copyright © 2004-2005 DeniX Solutions SRL
Other DeniX Solutions sites: Unix/Linux blog |  Unix/Linux documentation |  Unix/Linux forums |  Medicine forum |  Science forum  |  Send and track newsletters


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group