FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forum index » Electronix » design
FREQ COUNTER help
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 2 of 8 [113 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page:  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Author Message
John Fields
electronics forum Guru


Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Posts: 3260

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: FREQ COUNTER help Reply with quote

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 13:33:39 +0100, "Paul Taylor"
<paul.taylor@uea.ac.uk> wrote:

Quote:
sorry typo error 65536 (2 to the power of 16)

---
Please bottom post.

OK, so your high frequency is 65536Hz. What's your low frequency?


--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer
Back to top
martin griffith
electronics forum Guru


Joined: 06 May 2005
Posts: 1098

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: FREQ COUNTER help Reply with quote

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 14:48:32 +0100, in sci.electronics.design "Paul
Taylor" <paul.taylor@uea.ac.uk> wrote:

Quote:
Phil im not a troll, i am interested in the period counter concept you said
about i searched the web and cant seem to find much about it.

Thanks

by the way what is a troll?


Oh Dear


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll


martin
Back to top
Paul Taylor
electronics forum beginner


Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 45

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: FREQ COUNTER help Reply with quote

Thanks for that martin so im some bad furry creature......

Sorry john for top posting i think i have got to grips with this newsgroup
business now my bottom limit is basically 1hz with a resolution of 1hz to.
any of you guys now about period counters Phil was saying that this could be
the way to go?

Thanks

"martin griffith" <mart_in_medina@yahoo.esXXX> wrote in message
news:6i5nb2972qal5p8840lta4oigvldl1mmat@4ax.com...
Quote:
On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 14:48:32 +0100, in sci.electronics.design "Paul
Taylor" <paul.taylor@uea.ac.uk> wrote:

Phil im not a troll, i am interested in the period counter concept you
said
about i searched the web and cant seem to find much about it.

Thanks

by the way what is a troll?


Oh Dear

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll


martin
Back to top
Meindert Sprang
electronics forum Guru Wannabe


Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Posts: 150

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: FREQ COUNTER help Reply with quote

"Paul Taylor" <paul.taylor@uea.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:e9g5en$bv5$1@cpca14.uea.ac.uk...
Quote:
Thanks for that martin so im some bad furry creature......

Sorry john for top posting i think i have got to grips with this newsgroup

No, you've got to get grips with your news reader. Simply move the cursor to
the bottom of the original text before starting to type (after deleting
irrelevant text). Simple.

Meindert
Back to top
Paul Taylor
electronics forum beginner


Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 45

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: FREQ COUNTER help Reply with quote

is this ok? i get help hopefully in the end for the problem i firsted posted
for?
Back to top
Paul Taylor
electronics forum beginner


Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 45

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: FREQ COUNTER help Reply with quote

Quote:
No, you've got to get grips with your news reader. Simply move the cursor
to
the bottom of the original text before starting to type (after deleting
irrelevant text). Simple.

Meindert


i think this is right thanks for all your help i have now mastered writing

to a newsgroup
Back to top
Luhan
electronics forum Guru


Joined: 10 Dec 2005
Posts: 365

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: FREQ COUNTER help Reply with quote

Paul Taylor wrote:
Quote:
Hi i am presently trying to build a counter that counts freq upto 65536 Khz
in less than 1 msec is this possible also has any one any ideas to where i
should start thanks in advance for your help.

Paul

How about some background? What is your experience level at present?
This may not be a good project for your forray into electronics.

Luhan
Back to top
John Fields
electronics forum Guru


Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Posts: 3260

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: FREQ COUNTER help Reply with quote

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 15:05:10 +0100, "Paul Taylor"
<paul.taylor@uea.ac.uk> wrote:

Quote:
Thanks for that martin so im some bad furry creature......

Sorry john for top posting i think i have got to grips with this newsgroup
business now

---
Not yet you haven't...

As Mindert replied, snip whatever's not necessary and then start
typing at the end of what's left.
---

Quote:
my bottom limit is basically 1hz with a resolution of 1hz to.
any of you guys now about period counters Phil was saying that this could be
the way to go?

---
It is if you've got a low frequency and you've only got a short time
to measure it, but you've got different kind of problem if you want
to determine the frequency of a 1Hz signal in 1 millisecond.

Why don't you tell us _exactly_ what it is you're trying to
accomplish? That way we can probably help you decide on a good way
to go about getting it done instead of wasting a lot of time
guessing about what you want.

Type your reply _after_ the arrow. :-)

--->


--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer
Back to top
Paul Taylor
electronics forum beginner


Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 45

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: FREQ COUNTER help Reply with quote

"Luhan" <luhanis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1153147800.910464.13150@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com...
Quote:

Paul Taylor wrote:
Hi i am presently trying to build a counter that counts freq upto 65536
Khz
in less than 1 msec is this possible also has any one any ideas to where
i
should start thanks in advance for your help.

Paul

How about some background? What is your experience level at present?
This may not be a good project for your forray into electronics.

Luhan


Basically i need to count the photons in the upper atmosphere this is done
every other 1msec then transmitted back down to earth at a rate of 833khz
via a telemetry system, i need to count from 1 to 65536 so a resolution of 1
is fine.

Thanks
Back to top
John Fields
electronics forum Guru


Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Posts: 3260

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: FREQ COUNTER help Reply with quote

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 15:44:29 +0100, "Paul Taylor"
<paul.taylor@uea.ac.uk> wrote:

Quote:
No, you've got to get grips with your news reader. Simply move the cursor
to
the bottom of the original text before starting to type (after deleting
irrelevant text). Simple.

Meindert


i think this is right thanks for all your help i have now mastered writing
to a newsgroup

---
Not quite. Next comes punctuation and capitalization. :-)


--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer
Back to top
Paul Taylor
electronics forum beginner


Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 45

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: FREQ COUNTER help Reply with quote

"John Fields" <jfields@austininstruments.com> wrote in message
news:u8anb29mtg6rhquliku4e0g65fjdfoblms@4ax.com...
Quote:
On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 15:44:29 +0100, "Paul Taylor"
paul.taylor@uea.ac.uk> wrote:

No, you've got to get grips with your news reader. Simply move the
cursor
to
the bottom of the original text before starting to type (after deleting
irrelevant text). Simple.

Meindert


i think this is right thanks for all your help i have now mastered writing
to a newsgroup

---
Not quite. Next comes punctuation and capitalization. :-)


--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer

I'm going to be the master at this newsgroup business !)
Back to top
Luhan
electronics forum Guru


Joined: 10 Dec 2005
Posts: 365

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: FREQ COUNTER help Reply with quote

Paul Taylor wrote:
Quote:
"Luhan" <luhanis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1153147800.910464.13150@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com...

Paul Taylor wrote:
Hi i am presently trying to build a counter that counts freq upto 65536
Khz
in less than 1 msec is this possible also has any one any ideas to where
i
should start thanks in advance for your help.

Paul

How about some background? What is your experience level at present?
This may not be a good project for your forray into electronics.

Luhan


Basically i need to count the photons in the upper atmosphere this is done
every other 1msec then transmitted back down to earth at a rate of 833khz
via a telemetry system, i need to count from 1 to 65536 so a resolution of 1
is fine.

Thanks

So you already have a circuit that detects 'photons', and a telemetry
circuit, but cannot somehow design a simple counter circuit?

Sorry, does not compute.

Luhan
Back to top
Phil Allison
electronics forum Guru


Joined: 20 May 2005
Posts: 1368

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: FREQ COUNTER help Reply with quote

"Paul Taylor"
Quote:


Basically i need to count the photons in the upper atmosphere this is done
every other 1msec then transmitted back down to earth at a rate of 833khz
via a telemetry system, i need to count from 1 to 65536 so a resolution of
1 is fine.



** So you have NO idea what frequency is ??

( Hint - it is a rate expressed in cycles per second )

An electronic counter will count events ( cycles, pulses, rabbits) for just
as long as you let it.

Seems your upper frequency is really 65.536 MHz, after all.





........ Phil
Back to top
Meindert Sprang
electronics forum Guru Wannabe


Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Posts: 150

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: FREQ COUNTER help Reply with quote

"Paul Taylor" <paul.taylor@uea.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:e9g7oe$feh$1@cpca14.uea.ac.uk...
Quote:
No, you've got to get grips with your news reader. Simply move the
cursor
to
the bottom of the original text before starting to type (after deleting
irrelevant text). Simple.

Meindert


i think this is right thanks for all your help i have now mastered writing
to a newsgroup

Bingo!

Quote:
Basically i need to count the photons in the upper atmosphere this is done
every other 1msec then transmitted back down to earth at a rate of 833khz
via a telemetry system, i need to count from 1 to 65536 so a resolution of
1
is fine.

Ok, so use a 16 bit counter which you read-and-reset every ms. You need a
VHF capable prescaler (/256 or so) and then feed it into some counter or
microcontroller with an external counter input.

Meindert
Back to top
Paul Taylor
electronics forum beginner


Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 45

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: FREQ COUNTER help Reply with quote

"Luhan" <luhanis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1153150487.247307.298850@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
Quote:

Paul Taylor wrote:
"Luhan" <luhanis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1153147800.910464.13150@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com...
So you already have a circuit that detects 'photons', and a telemetry
circuit, but cannot somehow design a simple counter circuit?

Sorry, does not compute.

Luhan

I have bought in a photometer which in turn is connected to a bought in

pulse amplifier discriminator (pad), this needs to be feed into a counter
to count the pulses which I am to build, the telemetry system is already in
place which I haven't built, the bottom line is I need to count the output
from the pad which counts the sodium particles and get this count back down
to earth.

Thanks
Back to top
Google

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 2 of 8 [113 Posts] Goto page:  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
The time now is Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:54 am | All times are GMT
Forum index » Electronix » design
Jump to:  

Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
No new posts Freq response of SB Audigy Abstract Dissonance Basics 3 Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:49 pm
No new posts speaker freq response David McDivitt Basics 20 Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:09 pm
No new posts High-speed counter for frequency counter project Ben Jackson design 10 Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:50 am
No new posts FS: Original Heathkit frequency counter manuals Al Schapira Repair 0 Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:30 pm
No new posts Fastest counter? eromlignod design 25 Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:31 pm

Copyright © 2004-2005 DeniX Solutions SRL
Other DeniX Solutions sites: Unix/Linux blog |  Unix/Linux documentation |  Unix/Linux forums |  Medicine forum |  Science forum  |  Send and track newsletters


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group