FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forum index » Electronix » Basics
question on viewing VSS and Vgnd pins on 4017DB 5-stage Johnson counter in Multisim 8 tia sal
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
Guest






PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: question on viewing VSS and Vgnd pins on 4017DB 5-stage Johnson counter in Multisim 8 tia sal Reply with quote

Greetings,

I'm trying to connect a 555 timer circuit to a 4017DB 5-stage Johnson counter in Multisim 8 how does one get the Vss and Vgnd pins to show up on the 4017DB 5-stage Johnson counter so I can connect them to the 555 timer?
Example of the circuit
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_6/chpt_7/6.html
The pins are different why?

is thier a group dedicated to multisim or electronic work bench I should/could post to?


Thanks
Back to top
Lord Garth
electronics forum Guru


Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Posts: 363

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: question on viewing VSS and Vgnd pins on 4017DB 5-stage Johnson counter in Multisim 8 tia sal Reply with quote

<sal@spp.net> wrote in message
news:yP4ee.267$Wq.178@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
Quote:
Greetings,

I'm trying to connect a 555 timer circuit to a 4017DB 5-stage Johnson
counter in Multisim 8 how does one get the Vss and Vgnd pins to show up on

the 4017DB 5-stage Johnson counter so I can connect them to the 555 timer?
Quote:
Example of the circuit
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_6/chpt_7/6.html
The pins are different why?

is thier a group dedicated to multisim or electronic work bench I
should/could post to?


Thanks

Vss is ground, it's just the designation used for with MOS transistors. Vdd
is the power supply
as Vcc is for TTL devices. It doesn't matter that you show your 555 ground
connected to Vss
so long as Multisim knows it's ground.

Using real components, one wouldn't jump the ground of one chip to the
ground of the other.
Rather you would connect your power source and ground to the plug board
power rails and
simply jump the chip power pins to the appropriate rail.

There are situations where grounds are isolated but this is not one.
Back to top
Rikard Bosnjakovic
electronics forum addict


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 96

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: question on viewing VSS and Vgnd pins on 4017DB 5-stage Johnson counter in Multisim 8 tia sal Reply with quote

Lord Garth wrote:

Quote:
Using real components, one wouldn't jump the ground of one chip to the
ground of the other.
Rather you would connect your power source and ground to the plug board
power rails and
simply jump the chip power pins to the appropriate rail.

Why is that? Jumping the ICs' ground-pins or making a separate coupling
from each GND-pin to the GND-rail they will still be electrically common,
won't they?

--
Rikard Bosnjakovic http://bos.hack.org/cv/

Anyone sending unwanted advertising e-mail to my address will be
charged $250 for network traffic and computing time. By extracting
address from this message or its header, you agree to these terms.
Back to top
Dave
electronics forum addict


Joined: 30 Apr 2005
Posts: 73

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: question on viewing VSS and Vgnd pins on 4017DB 5-stage Johnson counter in Multisim 8 tia sal Reply with quote

Looking at SCHEMATIC DIAGRAM, the 555 does NOT appear to be wired for

"Use of a 555 timer circuit to produce "clock" pulses (astable
multivibrator)"

Take a look at:
http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/gadgets/555/555.html
for some information on the 555.

Dave
Back to top
Lord Garth
electronics forum Guru


Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Posts: 363

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: question on viewing VSS and Vgnd pins on 4017DB 5-stage Johnson counter in Multisim 8 tia sal Reply with quote

"Rikard Bosnjakovic" <bos@REMOVETHIShack.org> wrote in message
news:Qncee.23318$d5.170001@newsb.telia.net...
Quote:
Lord Garth wrote:

Using real components, one wouldn't jump the ground of one chip to the
ground of the other.
Rather you would connect your power source and ground to the plug board
power rails and
simply jump the chip power pins to the appropriate rail.

Why is that? Jumping the ICs' ground-pins or making a separate coupling
from each GND-pin to the GND-rail they will still be electrically common,
won't they?

--
Rikard Bosnjakovic http://bos.hack.org/cv/

It's convenient to connect the power to a near-by bus. Wide power traces
are better than narrow traces impedance wise and the wide trace also
provides
an easy place to solder on a decoupling capacitor very close to the IC.
Further, many schematics presume you know the chip needs power so they
may not be shown.
Back to top
Rich Grise
electronics forum Guru


Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Posts: 3971

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: question on viewing VSS and Vgnd pins on 4017DB 5-stage Johnson counter in Multisim 8 tia sal Reply with quote

On Thu, 05 May 2005 03:56:57 +0000, Lord Garth wrote:
Quote:
"Rikard Bosnjakovic" <bos@REMOVETHIShack.org> wrote in message
Lord Garth wrote:

Using real components, one wouldn't jump the ground of one chip to the
ground of the other.
Rather you would connect your power source and ground to the plug board
power rails and
simply jump the chip power pins to the appropriate rail.

Why is that? Jumping the ICs' ground-pins or making a separate coupling
from each GND-pin to the GND-rail they will still be electrically common,
won't they?

It's convenient to connect the power to a near-by bus. Wide power traces
are better than narrow traces impedance wise and the wide trace also
provides
an easy place to solder on a decoupling capacitor very close to the IC.
Further, many schematics presume you know the chip needs power so they
may not be shown.

The power and ground are clearly shown on the pictorial, albeit they've
omitted any bypass caps. The OP was asking how to connect them in his
simulator program. For that, I'd say check the program's docs.

"sal" had written:
"I'm trying to connect a 555 timer circuit to a 4017DB 5-stage Johnson
counter in Multisim 8 how does one get the Vss and Vgnd pins to show
up on the 4017DB 5-stage Johnson counter so I can connect them to the
555 timer?
Example of the circuit
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_6/chpt_7/6.html
The pins are different why?"

I'm guessing that sal is saying that the 555 connection looks different
from the ones in the data books. It's not a problem - it just makes very
narrow pulses - the discharge resistor is zero plus parasitics.

Cheers!
Rich
Back to top
Lord Garth
electronics forum Guru


Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Posts: 363

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: question on viewing VSS and Vgnd pins on 4017DB 5-stage Johnson counter in Multisim 8 tia sal Reply with quote

"Rich Grise" <richgrise@example.net> wrote in message
news:pan.2005.05.05.16.36.40.124936@example.net...
Quote:
On Thu, 05 May 2005 03:56:57 +0000, Lord Garth wrote:
"Rikard Bosnjakovic" <bos@REMOVETHIShack.org> wrote in message
Lord Garth wrote:

Using real components, one wouldn't jump the ground of one chip to
the
ground of the other.
Rather you would connect your power source and ground to the plug
board
power rails and
simply jump the chip power pins to the appropriate rail.

Why is that? Jumping the ICs' ground-pins or making a separate
coupling
from each GND-pin to the GND-rail they will still be electrically
common,
won't they?

It's convenient to connect the power to a near-by bus. Wide power
traces
are better than narrow traces impedance wise and the wide trace also
provides
an easy place to solder on a decoupling capacitor very close to the IC.
Further, many schematics presume you know the chip needs power so they
may not be shown.

The power and ground are clearly shown on the pictorial, albeit they've
omitted any bypass caps. The OP was asking how to connect them in his
simulator program. For that, I'd say check the program's docs.

"sal" had written:
"I'm trying to connect a 555 timer circuit to a 4017DB 5-stage Johnson
counter in Multisim 8 how does one get the Vss and Vgnd pins to show
up on the 4017DB 5-stage Johnson counter so I can connect them to the
555 timer?
Example of the circuit
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_6/chpt_7/6.html
The pins are different why?"

I'm guessing that sal is saying that the 555 connection looks different
from the ones in the data books. It's not a problem - it just makes very
narrow pulses - the discharge resistor is zero plus parasitics.

Cheers!
Rich


I presuming that Multisim doesn't show the power and ground inputs
since that's a given. I could be wrong, I don't own a copy so I'm WAGing!
Back to top
Google

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
The time now is Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:21 am | All times are GMT
Forum index » Electronix » Basics
Jump to:  

Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
No new posts Timex crystal question Marvelheroes Repair 0 Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:43 pm
No new posts Another question voodoochile components 0 Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:52 pm
No new posts Current sense and diff. amp question Johnny design 3 Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:53 am
No new posts question about solartron carrie_yao@hotmail.com design 0 Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:02 am
No new posts newbie question voodoochile Misc 1 Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:00 am

Copyright © 2004-2005 DeniX Solutions SRL
Other DeniX Solutions sites: Unix/Linux blog |  Unix/Linux documentation |  Unix/Linux forums |  Medicine forum |  Science forum  |  Send and track newsletters


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group