FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forum index » Electronix » Repair
I need Fluke 187 & 189 DMM RS-232 commands
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
itsme.ultimate@gmail.com
electronics forum beginner


Joined: 18 Dec 2005
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: I need Fluke 187 & 189 DMM RS-232 commands Reply with quote

X-No-Archive: Yes

Hello,

could someone provide or help me locate additional command set for the
Fluke 180 series DMM? These multimeters are dual display and are
capable of exporting the value of both displays as well as the minimum,
maximum and average value at every interval when you use the Fluke
provided software.

There is a documentation here
http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/~thunter/manuals/RemoteSpec89_18X.htm but it
only provides the "QM" command that displays what's on the primary
display.

If there is no resource, how difficult would it be to intercept the
RS-232 communication between the meter and the computer and sniff the
commands?
Back to top
Franc Zabkar
electronics forum Guru


Joined: 01 May 2005
Posts: 616

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: I need Fluke 187 & 189 DMM RS-232 commands Reply with quote

On 17 Jul 2006 13:44:34 -0700, itsme.ultimate@gmail.com put finger to
keyboard and composed:

Quote:
X-No-Archive: Yes

Hello,

could someone provide or help me locate additional command set for the
Fluke 180 series DMM? These multimeters are dual display and are
capable of exporting the value of both displays as well as the minimum,
maximum and average value at every interval when you use the Fluke
provided software.

There is a documentation here
http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/~thunter/manuals/RemoteSpec89_18X.htm but it
only provides the "QM" command that displays what's on the primary
display.

If there is no resource, how difficult would it be to intercept the
RS-232 communication between the meter and the computer and sniff the
commands?

Could you connect the Tx output of COMx to the Rx input of COMy and
then use a comms app such as HyperTerminal to capture the data to a
text file?

Could you view the contents of Fluke's .exe files with a hex editor?
Look for text strings in the vicinity of known commands such as QM.

For example, in Win98SE you can view a file, in a DOS box, as follows:

edit /r /64 filename

The "/r" indicates read-only mode.

When you find new commands, use HyperTerminal to send them to the
meter.

If the files aren't too large, you are welcome to email them to me.

- Franc Zabkar
--
Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.
Back to top
Jussi Peltola
electronics forum beginner


Joined: 27 May 2006
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: I need Fluke 187 & 189 DMM RS-232 commands Reply with quote

Franc Zabkar wrote:
Quote:
On 17 Jul 2006 13:44:34 -0700, itsme.ultimate@gmail.com put finger to
keyboard and composed:

X-No-Archive: Yes

Hello,

could someone provide or help me locate additional command set for the
Fluke 180 series DMM? These multimeters are dual display and are
capable of exporting the value of both displays as well as the minimum,
maximum and average value at every interval when you use the Fluke
provided software.

There is a documentation here
http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/~thunter/manuals/RemoteSpec89_18X.htm but it
only provides the "QM" command that displays what's on the primary
display.

If there is no resource, how difficult would it be to intercept the
RS-232 communication between the meter and the computer and sniff the
commands?

Could you connect the Tx output of COMx to the Rx input of COMy and
then use a comms app such as HyperTerminal to capture the data to a
text file?

Could you view the contents of Fluke's .exe files with a hex editor?
Look for text strings in the vicinity of known commands such as QM.

For example, in Win98SE you can view a file, in a DOS box, as follows:

edit /r /64 filename

The "/r" indicates read-only mode.

When you find new commands, use HyperTerminal to send them to the
meter.

If the files aren't too large, you are welcome to email them to me.

- Franc Zabkar

Use a real serial port sniffing application (which requires another PC
with 2 serial ports). You want to capture the command and reply
side-by-side or it'll be a PITA to decipher the protocol.
Back to top
Franc Zabkar
electronics forum Guru


Joined: 01 May 2005
Posts: 616

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: I need Fluke 187 & 189 DMM RS-232 commands Reply with quote

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 09:05:24 +0300, Jussi Peltola
<jussi.peltola@nbl.fi> put finger to keyboard and composed:

Quote:
Franc Zabkar wrote:
On 17 Jul 2006 13:44:34 -0700, itsme.ultimate@gmail.com put finger to
keyboard and composed:

X-No-Archive: Yes

Hello,

could someone provide or help me locate additional command set for the
Fluke 180 series DMM? These multimeters are dual display and are
capable of exporting the value of both displays as well as the minimum,
maximum and average value at every interval when you use the Fluke
provided software.

There is a documentation here
http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/~thunter/manuals/RemoteSpec89_18X.htm but it
only provides the "QM" command that displays what's on the primary
display.

If there is no resource, how difficult would it be to intercept the
RS-232 communication between the meter and the computer and sniff the
commands?

Could you connect the Tx output of COMx to the Rx input of COMy and
then use a comms app such as HyperTerminal to capture the data to a
text file?

Could you view the contents of Fluke's .exe files with a hex editor?
Look for text strings in the vicinity of known commands such as QM.

For example, in Win98SE you can view a file, in a DOS box, as follows:

edit /r /64 filename

The "/r" indicates read-only mode.

When you find new commands, use HyperTerminal to send them to the
meter.

If the files aren't too large, you are welcome to email them to me.

- Franc Zabkar

Use a real serial port sniffing application (which requires another PC
with 2 serial ports). You want to capture the command and reply
side-by-side or it'll be a PITA to decipher the protocol.

Capture the command using the single-port technique that I have
described. Then issue this same command manually by connecting to the
DMM using HyperTerminal. You will then see both the command and the
reply on your screen.

I have used a similar technique to decipher the proprietary protocol
for a Casio digital diary.

- Franc Zabkar
--
Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.
Back to top
Scott Newell
electronics forum beginner


Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: I need Fluke 187 & 189 DMM RS-232 commands Reply with quote

Quote:
Use a real serial port sniffing application (which requires another PC
with 2 serial ports). You want to capture the command and reply
side-by-side or it'll be a PITA to decipher the protocol.

Capture the command using the single-port technique that I have
described. Then issue this same command manually by connecting to the
DMM using HyperTerminal. You will then see both the command and the
reply on your screen.

I have used a similar technique to decipher the proprietary protocol
for a Casio digital diary.

If this is under windows, PortMon from Sysinternals is your friend.
The site appears to be down right now; I guess they got slashdotted.

--
newell N5TNL
Back to top
Franc Zabkar
electronics forum Guru


Joined: 01 May 2005
Posts: 616

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: I need Fluke 187 & 189 DMM RS-232 commands Reply with quote

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 23:20:30 GMT, Scott Newell <newell@cei.net> put
finger to keyboard and composed:

Quote:
Use a real serial port sniffing application (which requires another PC
with 2 serial ports). You want to capture the command and reply
side-by-side or it'll be a PITA to decipher the protocol.

Capture the command using the single-port technique that I have
described. Then issue this same command manually by connecting to the
DMM using HyperTerminal. You will then see both the command and the
reply on your screen.

I have used a similar technique to decipher the proprietary protocol
for a Casio digital diary.

If this is under windows, PortMon from Sysinternals is your friend.
The site appears to be down right now; I guess they got slashdotted.

Thanks. The site is slow but the direct links appear to work OK.

http://www.sysinternals.com/Files/PortMon9x.zip
http://www.sysinternals.com/Files/PortMonNt.zip

- Franc Zabkar
--
Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.
Back to top
Franc Zabkar
electronics forum Guru


Joined: 01 May 2005
Posts: 616

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: I need Fluke 187 & 189 DMM RS-232 commands Reply with quote

On 17 Jul 2006 13:44:34 -0700, itsme.ultimate@gmail.com put finger to
keyboard and composed:

Quote:
X-No-Archive: Yes

Hello,

could someone provide or help me locate additional command set for the
Fluke 180 series DMM? These multimeters are dual display and are
capable of exporting the value of both displays as well as the minimum,
maximum and average value at every interval when you use the Fluke
provided software.

There is a documentation here
http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/~thunter/manuals/RemoteSpec89_18X.htm but it
only provides the "QM" command that displays what's on the primary
display.

If there is no resource, how difficult would it be to intercept the
RS-232 communication between the meter and the computer and sniff the
commands?

My Fluke PM97 Scopemeter uses the CPL Protocol. These commands appear
to be the same as those used by the Fluke 180 series DMMs.

For example ...

QM = query for measurement data
QW = query waveform
QS = query setup
RI = reset instrument
ID = identification query

Contact me via email for more info.

- Franc Zabkar
--
Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.
Back to top
itsme.ultimate@gmail.com
electronics forum beginner


Joined: 18 Dec 2005
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: I need Fluke 187 & 189 DMM RS-232 commands Reply with quote

X-No-Archive: Yes

Hi Franc,

I located the DLL file which I think contains instrument profile in the
FlukeView Forms directory, which is less than 1MB. I sent it to your
email, but it came back undeliberable. Please email me from the email
address which you can accept the file. I will send again.

Thanks for your help.
Back to top
Franc Zabkar
electronics forum Guru


Joined: 01 May 2005
Posts: 616

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: I need Fluke 187 & 189 DMM RS-232 commands Reply with quote

On 20 Jul 2006 02:21:01 -0700, itsme.ultimate@gmail.com put finger to
keyboard and composed:

Quote:
X-No-Archive: Yes

Hi Franc,

I located the DLL file which I think contains instrument profile in the
FlukeView Forms directory, which is less than 1MB. I sent it to your
email, but it came back undeliberable. Please email me from the email
address which you can accept the file. I will send again.

Thanks for your help.

You need to de-spam my email address as per my sig line.

FWIW, the V4.08 firmware .bin file for a 190 series Scopemeter
contains the following text (there may be some errors):

AS AT CI CL CM CV DS EM EO EX FM GD GL GR ID IS PC PS QC QI QM QP QS
QW RB RC RD RI RS RT RW SO SS ST TA VE WB WC WD WT WW RN HO ZCD (?) DT
RP IM MD

These look like Query commands: QC QI QM QP QS QW

See http://assets.fluke.com/download/scopemeter/FlashTool_V408.exe

I'd try PortMon as suggested elsewhere in this thread. IMO it looks
like your best approach.

Otherwise you could try this:

edit /r /64 filespec

The above command (executed in a Windows DOS box) will display a file
in read-only mode. You can then search for text strings such as QM.

I'm using Win98SE so I can't say whether this approach works in Win
XP. You might need a different hex editor, eg HexEdit.

- Franc Zabkar
--
Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.
Back to top
Google

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
The time now is Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:18 pm | All times are GMT
Forum index » Electronix » Repair
Jump to:  

Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
No new posts Anyone has an experience with Fluke warranty as a second ... itsme.ultimate@gmail.com Basics 2 Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:11 am
No new posts Fluke 8025A manual wanted. Boozo Equipment 2 Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:49 am
No new posts Fluke 8025A manual wanted. Boozo Equipment 0 Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:49 am
No new posts Looking for Fluke Instruction Sheet Fred McKenzie Equipment 1 Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:07 pm
No new posts FLUKE Obsolete Temperature Probe 80T-150 c-wurst Equipment 6 Wed May 31, 2006 9:42 am

Copyright © 2004-2005 DeniX Solutions SRL
Other DeniX Solutions sites: Unix/Linux blog |  Unix/Linux documentation |  Unix/Linux forums |  Medicine forum |  Science forum  |  Send and track newsletters


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group